This is the Best Classic Chili Recipe. A few years ago, when I first made this chili recipe and it was absolutely, hands down the best bowl of chili I had ever tasted. This classic beef chili recipe is made with simple ingredients and is very easy to make. I shared this recipe on my YouTube channel and today it has over 3 million views and great reviews. The flavors in this chili blends perfectly.
What is the Secret to Making Good Chili?
f you are looking to learn how to make chili then you have come to the right place. This recipe is made with easy to find ingredients, most of which you already have in your refrigerator and pantry. So what’s the secret to making good chili? Well there are several. I’ve found the secret to a great tasting chili is:
1. Use high quality ingredients for chili. Make sure to use quality ground meat ( lean ground beef, ground turkey or pork), fresh vegetable ( yellow onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and green chilies) and quality seasoning and spices ( cumin, chili spices, oregano).
2. Cook your chili low and slow using medium low heat. By allowing the chili to slowly simmer, the favors combine to give the best taste.
3. Allow the chili to rest after it’s done cooking. This will allow for a deeper flavor as the flavor blend.Print RecipeJump to Recipe
Watch the Step by Step Video on How to Make Chili
Ingredients for Southern Homemade Chili Recipe:
Ground Beef, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Celery, Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Beef Broth, Jalapeno Pepper, Chili Beans, Kidney Beans, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cumin, Salt and Black Pepper.
Set your temperature to medium heat. In a frying pan season the ground beef with 1-1/2 tsps of salt and 1-1/2 tsp of pepper and brown for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes drain off the fat then set ground beef aside for later.
In a separate pan add the olive oil and saute the onion, celery, red pepper, green pepper and a jalepeno pepper for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes add the ground beef, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth.
Add the garlic, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and mix well.
Cooking the chili low and slow will allow the flavors to meld and the chili to thicken. This will produce the best tasting chili you have ever had. I hope you give this recipe a try. Allow it to cook on low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
Chili is one of America’s favorite comfort foods and this recipe is full of rich flavor. It can be served as a weekend or weeknight meal. It is great as a topping for hot dogs, nachos, baked potatoes and other foods. And if you manage to have leftover chili, just simply store it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. If you are searching how to make chili with a spicy kick that is an easy recipe, then definitely give this one a try. You can’t go wrong.
More Tips on How to Make The Best Chili
Here are some tips for making a great southern homemade chili recipe:
- Use a variety of beans. Different types of beans have different flavors and textures, so using a variety will add depth and complexity to your chili. Try black beans, white beans, chili beans or kidney beans to create your perfect blend of beans.
- Add some sweetness for the best chili recipe. If you like, a touch of sweetness can help to balance out the heat of the chili. You can add brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
- Don’t forget the spices. Chili powder is a must, but don’t be afraid to experiment with other spices and seasonings like cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Create a homemade blend that you will enjoy.
- Simmer your beef mixture for a long time. The longer you simmer, the more flavorful it will be. It is this complex flavor that give it the great taste.
- Serve with your favorite toppings or side. Chili is a great blank canvas, so feel free to get creative with your toppings and what you serve it with. Some popular options include shredded mild cheddar cheese, sour cream, onions, and avocado. You can add hot sauce, tortilla chips, crackers or green onions.
- Personalize it. This traditional chili recipe can be changes to suite any need. If you prefer vegan or vegetarian chili then remove the meat and/or substitute it with meat substitute.
Chili Recipe – How to Make Homemade ChiliCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 lbs Ground Beef
1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
2 cloves Garlic
2 stalks Celery
1-14.5oz can Diced Tomatoes
1-6oz Tomato Paste
1 cup Beef Broth
1 Jalapeno Pepper
1-15oz can Chili Beans
1-15oz can Kidney Beans
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Cumin
2-1/2 tsps Salt
2-1/2 tsps Black Pepper
- In a frying pan season the ground beef with 1-1/2 tsps of salt and 1-1/2 tsp of pepper and brown for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes drain off the fat then set ground beef aside for later.
- In a separate pan add the olive oil and saute the onion, celery, red pepper, green pepper and a jalepeno pepper for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add the ground beef, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, 1tsp salt, 1tsp pepper and mix well.
- Lastly add the chili beans and kidney beans mix and cover.
- Allow it to cook on low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours remove from heat and serve.